I know I owe you comments and reflections and I do want to talk about our dear friend Inja, I just know I won’t give it the attention it needs right now. Hopefully while we’re on vacation. Dan did scan the pictures, so I need to sort out the best way to let you see them.
So, we leave for a month away on Wednesday. I’ve been making lists, new lists, revised lists, adjusted lists, lists for me, lists for the boys… I was feeling pretty organized. I had plotted out the several days before we leave with what needed to get done so that Tuesday wouldn’t be a crazy frantic mess.
What’s that about best laid plans of mice and men?
This morning I decided in a moment of sheer insanity to agree to update the software on my ipod touch, as itunes has told me the past several times (“Hey you – there’s an update. don’t you want it?”). I updated and then, apparently itunes and the ipod were no longer speaking to each other. The ipod had only a usb plug and an itunes logo on the screen. We are PC people. If it weren’t for the amazing portable googleness of the ipod, I wouldn’t own one. It makes me nutty several times a year in a way my old Sansa mp3 player never did (I couldn’t play We Rule on my Sansa, though…). So, I restored the blasted thing, then had to move all of my apps back on it and then tackle the rough work.
I spent much of last week finding and downloading audiobooks for the trip. Books for me, books for the kids in the car, more books than we’ll probably listen to, but now I’ll have CHOICE. I got books 6 and 7 in the Jack Daniels series by JA Konrath, books 2 and 3 in the George RR Martin “Song of Fire and Ice” series (39 hours EACH), all of the Vampire Betsy books by MaryJanice Davidson that the library had (9 books, at least 5 hours each). The kids got Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, Dr. Dolittle, Eragon, The Moffats and we already have Harry Potter. I’d moved many of these to my ipod already. That factory restore, though – POOF! All gone. And since most of those were never actually stored in itunes (Overdrive from the library just uses itunes as a translator), I’ve had to translate and transfer them all again. ARGH.
Tomorrow was supposed to be a “stay home and get crap done day” and yet I still need to leave the house. I need to:
- Pick up Dan after he drops off his motorcycle for a recall repair
- Return all the library books (after we find them all)
- Finish the laundry: my pants, the (2?) loads of pretreated stained laundry, kitchen laundry and maybe towels (I can only do laundry until noon, and then after 7pm because of the electricity costs)
- Pack for me
- Supervise packing for the children
- Decide what knitting is going with me/ignore dan when he complains about knitting in the luggage.
- Figure out where we’re going to dinner so that the kitchen can be shut down
- Clean out the fridge
- Cut up and freeze the cantaloupe I insanely thought we’d eat this week
- Decide if I’m going to take my tea filter and loose leaf tea or tea bags with me
- Decide if I’m going to have Dan transfer itunes to a memory card (it’s currently on an external drive) or if I’ll be able to manage without it for 4 weeks
- Make car rental arrangements for Albany
- See about taking Daniel’s pants back to Costco so he can get the right size
What I want to do? Seam my sweater. I’m going to have to bring all the parts and seam it in North Carolina and hopefully finish it.
Holy Cats, it’s midnight. Did I mention that our flight leaves at 630am? That we’ll all need to be up and in the car by 430 to be at the airport by 5? I’m going to go have a lie down.